the incomplete compositions of el muqarnas were very mysterious to me, scar some as a friend once told me, whether i was seeing them as a decaying of living thing, a differentiation of a matter, that i wanted to touch and imagine the inverse of these complicated-forms, first when i saw them i couldn’t analyze, then i understood them logic, the maximal symmetry, the depth of the concave compositions and the texture. i wanted to understand and explore this architectural feature and see what i could do of this understanding.
this post is a research on the architectural element and its similarities in different architecture styles, as an introduction to contemporary understanding of the traditional architectural element.
– the geometric islamic compositions followed the classical aesthetics values, the structuring of a unit and a repetition compositions of the same unit(s) was an important value of them.
–muqarnas* is a 3 dimensional decorative unit, its function was to decorate the surface ball triangle and decorate any leveling in the interior and exterior architectural masses, in the islamic civilization.
– muqarnas* is a 3 dimensional application for the 2d geometric patterns through the arch as the third dimension element.
– the form of muqarnas is similar to the intersected vaults, which is an architectural element that has a structural function.
– the intersected vaults system was developed in the gothic architecture -european medieval era- , and they used the flying buttresses as a structure element.
– the flying buttresses system was developed to the trusses -when the industrial revolution was able to process the steel in a wide range-which is a structural system enables the building to contain wide clear spaces without internal columns to carry the ceiling.
DO YOUR MUQARNAS* A Practical Introduction to Muqarnas by ERIC BROUG